Emily, who just completed her school, is in a situation whether to pursue her higher education or get into her passionate field graphic design, right from her childhood Emily was always passionate about designing, so she thinks of starting her career as a graphic designer, but she was so skeptical whether to go for an office work or start as freelancer, whenever she was in doubt and need opinion she used to turn to her father, who is also her mentor, so without a hesitation she turned to her father.
Whenever Emily comes up questions her father turns excited, as he is always there to address her little princess question, he knows that Emily was so passionate about graphic designing so he started to her answer question, with utmost curiosity and sincerity Emily started to write it down and here are some excerpts from her father.
History of Graphic Designing
The term Graphic Designing was first coined by William Addison Dwiggins in 1922, but it originated in the prehistoric era, graphics used to by Man’s first art to express his ideas and thoughts. English daily’s started to use graphics for advertisements, to tell the story in a visual format in the start of 19th century.
In the year of 1980, desktop publishing came into effect, graphic art softwares were introduced, it enhanced the image manipulation and creation capabilities, but of course, there are some people who disagree with this opinion.
Graphic Designers work with
Graphic designers mostly work with a Design Consultancy, Branding agencies, Publishing, Marketing areas. In Digital era’s Web Design, User experience design for mobile apps, software applications is also becoming a huge hit and these professionals are most in demand now.
The Design process starts with page layout, there are some tools to create this one like Scribus which is the best tool for creating the page layout of your visual art. Then there are tools such as Inkscape, Adobe Photoshop, and Illustrator to create the vector of your visualization.
There are a number of tools available for Icon design which is the important aspect of User Interface Design.
Emily wrote down all the things carefully, even though she knows some of them already, she is so curious to write down each and everything that her father says.
He started to explain her, the nuances of freelancing and start her career as a freelancing graphic designer.
Building a Graphic Designer Portfolio
- You should have a clear purpose: You should convey your objectives, what’s your niche area, what you want to achieve in that, how proficient you are in that.
- Showcase your versatility: There is no need to put all your designing works, don’t make it cluttered, make it simple, include your best works
- Organize your work: Make it sure that you had organized your work into different categories, for example, you may have designed Brochures, Icons, Websites, more, Categorize it.
- Tell about the process: It’s most important to write about the process, how you had evolved the particular idea, the iterations it had went because people want to know the process so that they can get a clear picture of your work.
- Present case studies about your work, how your designs had helped people, where they are implemented in the real world
Now Emily got an idea from her father how to build her designer portfolio, after a gap her father started to explain the other aspects of a successful freelancing.
Essential skills needed for a successful freelancing career
For building up a successful freelancing career you should be good at these and it’s very important to master it in the due course
- Excellent Communication
- Conceptual and creative skills
- Passion for researching
- Analyzing trends and competitors
As like in any other field communication skill is very important in freelancing too, as you are your own manager here and you want to talk with clients directly and you have to manage them, So you should nail it your communication skills.
Also, it’s very important to develop a passion of researching, be good at numbers too, you should analyze the trends in your niche area, who are all the competitors out there, what they are doing, their work, etc.
Last but not the least; you should brush up your skills on daily basis.
Other finer aspects
- Make sure that you jot down your to-do list carefully and when you wake up in the morning go through it.
- Even though you are going to work from your home, pretend that you are going to the office; even arrange a separate room just for work.
- Make sure the place is not cluttered, as it could distract you.
- Develop you managerial skills, be your own manager – it will help you focused and more productive.
- Even though you are alone, make sure to be connected with people and collaborate with people at office.
- Sit at your work when you feel you’re more productive.
- Relax yourself by walking in your garden or a nearby park to get your productivity back.
Emily got a clear idea now, she is so clear about how to build a perfect online portfolio, what are the skills are to be mastered and other finer aspects, and she is such a confident person now.
Final Steps to launch a successful freelancing career
Now, organize your work, put a visual roadmap of how to project yourself to the world, write it down, draw it, rearrange it, fix it and finally put into work.
Now you want to showcase your work, pick a perfect platform to showcase your work, there are a number of tools such as an Wordpress are available there, present it perfect, include a short biography, share it in social media, present it to search engines, try to get connected with industry leaders in your niche, share your ideas in blog post which is your core strength and try to get connected from there, that’s it, you’re freelancing career as a graphic designer is all set to launch.
Search for best freelancing websites, put your profile there, get the work from best of the top organizations, work conveniently, be punctual, finish your task on stipulated time and be fair about your price tag, after a successful work get reviews about your work, reviews is the main factor which brings you more work.
Once you get a number of positive review it increases your demand of pay also increases, build your trust and win clients. Lastly he listed some famous graphic designers and resources to pursue
Paul Rand, Milton Glaser, Saul Bass, Paula Scher and to read Graphic Design – The New Basics
Emily got so excited; she got all the info from her lovable father.